Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mr. Nobody


Yesterday afternoon, I went swimming with my friend Thea at Willamette View Manor. For those who don't know (and I was one of them) Willamette View is a retirement community. The water in the pool was a little warmer than I'm used to, but since it was cold outside I didn't mind. It only costs $2 to use the pool, jacuzzi, and locker room. I swam a mile, which is 48 laps in their pool. Later, Thea gave me a magazine for a local performing arts center that had information about about upcoming auditions and acting classes. I was surprised to see that they had acting classes for television and movies, as well as audition techniques. In Portland, Oregon! I felt like I was still in the heart of Hollywood, where I just moved from. I couldn't help thinking about the culture of celebrity that seems to have captivated America. Then, I thought of this poem by Emily Dickinson:
I'm nobody, who are you?
Are you nobody too?
There's a pair of us, don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know!
How dreary to be somebody!
How public like a frog,
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!
Post Script:
I believe that artists deserve recognition for their work, even renown if it is merited. It just seems that in Hollywood the art of acting gets overwhelmed by a blinding focus on peripheral concerns such as head shots, auditions, casting directors, agents, and the like.

No comments:

Blog Archive